Diary Entry- Abbas Story

part 2.

We drove for a long time and then stopped at a beach. “Ahh” the smell of fresh air as the wind rushed through me. I thought we were going to fish or hangout when I saw a boat. It wasn’t what it seemed. Dad and mum were discussing something and had second thoughts of getting on or not because… 400 PEOPLE FROM OTHER BUSES WERE GOING TO GET ON A SMALL WOODEN BOAT! I didn’t really know what was going on, I was speechless and mind blown. How could 400 people think of getting onto the small Palapa, when the maximum is only 40. At the last minute we decided to go on, dad was worried if things would go sideways.The boat was going fine and then disaster happened. People praying and praying, panicking and crying hoping that we wouldn’t be stranded in the middle of nowhere. A few people created an S0S message on top of the boat in case helicopters passing notice the Palapa. The boat started breaking, there were too many people. I felt strangled in a crowd without air sweating like a monkey. It took a lot of waiting before Tampa, loaded  with containers saw our message, and made its way over to us. I thought I wasn’t gonna make it. I was scared to the point I felt I was going to vomit. The ship was tipping and cracking. We had no time to get our belongings and one by one got out of the small boat onto a ladder and into the container ship. I thought what a miracle! I’ve never seen my parents so worried. Had they made the wrong decision. We all made it out safe and then the boat broke into pieces and sank to the bottom of the Indian Ocean. I was sad as I saw my belongings sink, I quickly got down on my knees and bowed to pray with the rest of the people on the boat, grateful and thankful for our rescue.